70 percent of funds raised by CrossFit Ladysmith will stay in the local Special Olympics chapter, which is based out of Nanaimo. The remaining 30 percent will go to the Special Olympics Canada Foundation (CF24 photo)

70 percent of funds raised by CrossFit Ladysmith will stay in the local Special Olympics chapter, which is based out of Nanaimo. The remaining 30 percent will go to the Special Olympics Canada Foundation (CF24 photo)

CrossFit Ladysmith takes part in CF24 to raise funds for Special Olympics

CF24 puts participants through 24 CrossFit workouts over 24 hours

On November 23, CrossFit Ladysmith will join gyms across the country in CF24, an annual fitness fundraiser in support of Special Olympics Canada.

CF24 began in 2012 as a way to engage fitness and CrossFit enthusiasts in Special Olympics programs. Motionball, a national non-profit that raises funds and awareness for the Special Olympics played a large role in organizing the original fundraiser. CF24 puts participants through 24 CrossFit workouts over 24 hours.

CrossFit Ladysmith co-owner Tylor Nelson said the gym jumped at the chance to suppor the special Olympics and take on the challenge of CF24.

“We like to support anything that’s in support of sport or activity, and Special Olympics is a great cause,” Nelson said.

This will be Nelson’s first time participating in CF24. Co-owner Braiden Stevenson is also participating, as well as a few other gym members. Some members will join for various workouts at different parts of the day.

The gym will be open for the community to join in the workouts at 12:00 pm, 1:00 pm, and 2:00 pm. Those workouts are designed to be beginner friendly.

“If people want to come in to watch or donate, that’s totally cool, but we’d love to get as many people coming in at those times as we can to join in for a fun little work out,” Nelson said.

Donations can be made at the gym, or online at : cf24.ca/sponsor/?id=3488. 70 percent of funds raised by CrossFit Ladysmith will go to Special Olympics BC. The remaining 30 percent will go to the Special Olympics Canada Foundation.

President and CEO for Special Olympics BC, Dan Howe, said that fundraisers like CF24 go a long way in supporting Special Olympics programs.

“We’re incredibly excited. Not only are they raising money, but the awareness they’re generating for the organization is fantastic,” Howe said.

Funds raised from CF24 will go toward supporting the over 5,200 athletes involved in Special Olympics programs. Programs are offered to individuals as young as two years old, up to those in their 80s. The Special Olympics helps athletes who simply want to get involved in sport, or athletes who want to compete on the world stage.

“To be able to offer those opportunities is fairly expensive, and the only reason we can do it is because of the significant sponsors, and the significant effort by individuals,” Howe said. “The Motionball group and the CrossFit groups are just one example of creating that awareness, and creating that fundraising so that we’re able to offer all of those opportunities right across the country.”

Howe said that the Special Olympics helps individuals with intellectual disabilities have a sense of belonging and engagement in the community. He also noted that people with intellectual disabilities often have greater health issues than people who do not.

“A lot of it comes down to activity. People with an intellectual disability are not as active as others, the potentially are not provided with the same nutrition as others, they’re excluded from activity more, and they do not have the same access to healthcare that others have. So, when we can engage somebody in programs like Special Olympics, then we are addressing many of those issues,” Howe said.

Howe will not be participating in CF24 himself, however he ‘applauds and is in awe’ of what CF24 participants can do.

“I really want to thank CrossFit Ladysmith for stepping up and saying they want to be involved. I really want to thank all of those people who are engaged in trying to raise awareness and money for us by participating in CF24,” Howe said. “And, I really want to thank all the people who support them. Because, without that support we wouldn’t have the support we need to run our programs on the Island, in British Columbia, and across Canada.”

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Nanaimo-North Cowichan MLA Doug Routley was passed up for a cabinet position by Premier John Horgan. (Photo submitted)
Routley left off the list of NDP cabinet ministers again

Premier Horgan opts for some newcomers in key positions over experienced MLA

Environment Canada has issued a special weather statement forecasting windy weather Sunday and Monday. (News Bulletin file photo)
More windy weather on the way for Vancouver Island

Environment Canada issues special weather statement for Victoria, east coast of Island, north Island

Ladysmith Chamber of Commerce has worked to support businesses throughout the pandemic. (File photo)
Ladysmith Chamber reflects on a challenging 2020

For small businesses looking to adapt to the challenges of COVID-19 one… Continue reading

49th parallel was an early adopter of Plexiglas shields, and required staff to wear face masks. (49th Parallel photo)
49th Parallel continues to grow in spite of pandemic

The biggest challenge of the pandemic has been keeping shelves stocked at 49th Parallel stores

Freighter anchored off Kin Beach in Chemainus. (Photo by Don Bodger)
MacGregor to host expert panel for virtual town hall on freighter anchorages issue

Residents can participate through MP’s website or Facebook page Dec. 3

(Dave Landine/Facebook)
VIDEO: Dashcam captures head-on crash between snowplow and truck on northern B.C. highway

Driver posted to social media that he walked away largely unscathed

Black Press Media and BraveFace have come together to support children facing life-threatening conditions. Net proceeds from these washable, reusable, three-layer masks go to Make-A-Wish Foundation BC & Yukon.
Put on a BraveFace: Help make children’s wishes come true

Black Press Media, BraveFace host mask fundraiser for Make-A-Wish Foundation

The Nanaimo Rona location. (News Bulletin photo)
Rona home improvement store in Nanaimo advises that worker has COVID-19

Store re-opened Sunday after closing for cleaning Saturday

A B.C. Ambulance Service paramedic wearing a face mask to curb the spread of COVID-19 moves a stretcher outside an ambulance at Royal Columbia Hospital, in New Westminster, B.C., on Sunday, November 29, 2020. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Darryl Dyck
Top doctor urges Canadians to limit gatherings as ‘deeply concerning’ outbreaks continue

Canada’s active cases currently stand at 63,835, compared to 53,907 a week prior

A Canadian Pacific freight train travels around Morant’s Curve near Lake Louise, Alta., on Monday, Dec. 1, 2014. A study looking at 646 wildlife deaths along the railway tracks in Banff and Yoho national parks in Alberta and British Columbia has found that train speed is one of the biggest factors. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Frank Gunn
Study finds train speed a top factor in wildlife deaths in Banff, Yoho national parks

Research concludes effective mitigation could address train speed and ability of wildlife to see trains

A airport worker is pictured at Vancouver International Airport in Richmond, B.C. Wednesday, March 18, 2020. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jonathan Hayward
Canada extends COVID restrictions for non-U.S. travellers until Jan. 21 amid second wave

This ban is separate from the one restricting non-essential U.S. travel

Menno Place. (Google Street View image.)
B.C. care home looks to hire residents’ family members amid COVID-19-related staff shortage

Family would get paid as temporary workers, while having chance to see loved ones while wearing PPE

A man walks by a COVID-19 test pod at the Vancouver airport in this undated handout photo. A study has launched to investigate the safest and most efficient way to rapidly test for COVID-19 in people taking off from the Vancouver airport. The airport authority says the study that got underway Friday at WestJet’s domestic check-in area is the first of its kind in Canada. THE CANADIAN PRESS/HO, Vancouver Airport Authority *MANDATORY CREDIT*
COVID-19 rapid test study launches at Vancouver airport for departing passengers

Airport authority says that a positive rapid test result does not constitute a medical diagnosis for COVID-19

A small crash in the water south of Courtenay Saturday afternoon. Two men had to be rescued, but reports indicate there were no serious injuries. Photo by Mike Chouinard
Small plane crash in Comox Valley waters Saturday afternoon

Two rescued from plane that had flipped in water; no serious injuries reported

Most Read