Last Word for September 29, 2015
• There will be a blood donor clinic at St. Mary’s Catholic Church, 1135 Fourth Ave., Ladysmith on Thursday, Oct. 1 from 12:30 to 7:30 p.m. If you would like to donate as a group, email email@example.com. You can also book and appointment ‘to save a life’ at blood.ca. “If 50 people gave blood, one car crash victim could be saved,” the Canadian Blood Services reminds in its poster.
• The Chemainus Ratepayers Association and the Chemainus Chamber of Commerce will host an all-candidates meeting for the Oct. 19 federal election at Chemainus Secondary School, Sept. 29 from 6 to 8:30 p.m. Candidates in the Cowichan-Malahat-Langford riding are Martin Barker, Conservative; Fran Hunt-Jinnouchi, Green; Alistair MacGregor, NDP; Maria Manna, Liberal; and Paul Cortens, Libertarian. Bring your question for the candidates and get a ticket at the door. If your number is drawn, your question will be put to the candidates.
• The more Cooks in the Kitchen, the better. The Ladysmith Resources Centre Association is offering its popular program for youth aged 12 to 16 on Oct. 2, 9 at 9 a.m. and 1:15 p.m. Participants will: gain hands-on cooking experience, learn about nutrition, learn about sanitation, and prepare food to take home to their families. Call 250-245-3079 to register. Sponsored by Save On Foods, donations welcome.
• A fund raiser for rescued farm animals will be held Saturday, Oct. 3 from 7 to 9 p.m. at Chemainus United Church, 9814 Willow Street. Featuring the Chemainus Legion Community Band and the Free Radical Dixie Band, proceeds will go to RASTA (the Rescue and Sanctuary for Threatened Animals). You can find out more about RASTA on Facebook and at rastarescue.org or by calling 250-324-2886. Admission to the concert is by donation.
• Want to get up to speed on what the candidates are saying as election day approaches Oct. 19? Then book two hours for the Federal Election All-Candidates Forum, Oct. 8 from 7 to 9 p.m. at Aggie Hall in Ladysmith. Put on by the Ladysmith Chamber of Commerce, this will be your chance to find out what Sheila Malcolmson (NDP), Paul Manly (Green), Mark McDonald (Conservative), and Tim Tessie (Liberal) and their parties stand for. Everyone is welcome. Aggie hall is located at 1110 First Ave in Ladysmith.
• Take a look in Davy Jones Locker. The Chamber of Commerce and the Waterfront Gallery will be holding a fall fundraising gala Saturday, Oct. 24 from 6 to midnight at Aggie Hall. The 2nd Davy Jones Locker Arts Council fundraiser will feature a Seafood Dinner, live band (Luv Train), as well as a live and silent auction. Tickets are $40 for one, $75 for a pair. Available at the Chamber office, 33 Roberts Street or call 250-245-2112. Info available at ladysmithcofc.com.