John Reischman and the Jaybirds will be performing at Waterwheel Park in Chemainus, Sunday, Aug. 9 starting at 3 p.m. Admission is by donation, and the Chemainus Valley Cultural Arts Society is suggesting ‘at least ten dollars.’ “We think that’s a pretty reasonable price to pay for a concert of this calibre,” says a release. More information at chemainusbluegrass.com.
• Stock the Lockers, a fund-raiser for the Nanaimo-Ladysmith Schools Foundation, takes place Aug. 13 to Sept. 3. This is the 6th annual fundraising campaign for school supplies and other unmet basic needs of local elementary and secondary students. “Help us raise $50,000 to give students an equal chance to succeed in school,” says the NLSF in a recent release. For information go to www.NLSF.ca.
• KidZArtBeat children’s art festival will take place Saturday, Aug. 15, at Waterwheel Park in Chemainus. The festival will feature local artists and interactive arts activities for children of all ages. Local children’s performers will be performing all day in the band shell. This event will be free to the public with the exception of two registered workshops. More at chemainuscroftoncommunityschoolsassociation.ca.
• The 12th Annual Ladysmith Show & Shine will have vintage car enthusiasts flocking to First Avenue Saturday, Aug. 15 from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.. There will be live music and lots of fun for the family. So get your motor running and head out on the highway to a great event. And don’t forget on Aug. 14 at 7 p.m. there will be the traditional Rod Run from A&W in Ladysmith to the Chemainus roundabout and back.
• On August 23 First Avenue in Ladysmith will be transformed into a giant gallery as Arts on the Avenue celebrates the vibrant community of creative people in the area. Over 50 artists will gather Sunday morning to share their creations with the community, including: original paintings, jewellery, fabric art, carving, native art and more. There will be music, a kids’ art space, artisan food tents and information about Ladysmith’s arts scene. More at artsontheavenue.ca
• The Ladysmith Resources Centre is gearing up for the 2015 Berry Mania, Family Fun Festival, Sunday Aug. 30, 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. at Transfer Beach. It’s a major fund raiser for the LRC Association and they are looking for volunteers to help make the day fun for families. Please contact LRCA at 250-245-3079 and leave your name and contact information.
• The Loggers are back. Come out for the Ladysmith Loggers Sports at the Transfer Beach Amphitheatre on Sept. 6. Bring your own lawn chair, blanket or stool. Admission by donation with all proceeds going to Camp Goodtimes, supported by the Tour de Rock. Sponsored by Otter Point Timber.
• For kids six and up, and adults of any age, the Chemainus Theatre brings James and the Magic Peach. Imaginations will come together with incredible puppeteers and the Chemainus Theatre Festival KidzPlay Company. Roald Dahl’s classic children’s story of a magical journey into a giant peach is fun, fantasy and a great adventure. Runs to Aug. 15