Be safe with your Yuletide fireplace

Like any home appliance, the fireplace should be kept safe, properly maintained, inside and out.

Be safe with your Yuletide fireplace

The holiday season is also a time where preventable residential fires – particularly around fire places – are on the rise. So during National Home Fire Safety Week Nov. 24-30 the Canada Safety Council asked Canadians to remember that fire safety should be especially paramount.

Like any home appliance, the fireplace should be kept safe, properly maintained, inside and out. Ensure the area around the fireplace is free of debris, like holiday decorations and wrapping paper.

Steps you can take:

• Do not leave open flames, including candles and fireplaces, unattended or smouldering;

• Use a screen in front of your fireplace to avoid having sparks or embers fly out.

• Do not burn wrapping paper in the fireplace. Due to the way it is treated, it burns quickly and intensely, which could result in a flash fire.

• Keep candles away from flammable items such as curtains and trees, and ensure your candles stay on a stable, level surface.

• Where possible, use battery-powered candles to avoid the risk of an open flame entirely.