The Ladysmith Fire Department was called to another boat fire on Monday, August 21.
A boat, at the Ladysmith Marina, was smoking and the crews were called to the scene along with the auxiliary coast guard.
The fire was likely caused by an electrical short circuit on board, said Fire Chief Ray Delcourt.
“We’ve had lots of boat fires,” said Delcourt, noting the three so far this year.
“We are getting experience on how to handle them.”
Delcourt said they try not to use too much water and sink the boat, so often a fire-suppressing foam is used to allow firefighters to get at the heart of the blaze.
“Sometimes you can’t get in these vessels until you knock down the fire a little … because of fuel tanks.”
The fire department also has a device that is able to punch through a hull to get at a fire, if it is in an unsafe location for the fire crews.
That devise was not needed for this fire, he said.
Delcourt said they preplan the docks for the most efficient firefighting, but noted the distance between the gangway to some of the docks can be cumbersome.
“We know exactly when the first crew comes down, what they are going to be taking out to the dock. What kind of equipment, what kind of tools that go straight out to the finger.”
It was fortunate this fire happened in the middle of the day, said Delcourt, as it was out before it could breach the hull and spread to other boats.
“That fire, if it was at 2 a.m., would have been a lot worse. Luckily someone saw it pretty early.”