LRCA staff and camp tenants pose for a photo by their community garden on the last day of the encampment (Cole Schisler photo)

Buller Street self-isolation site for homeless dismantled

The site was cleared to meet the September 30 deadline to close

The self-isolation site for Ladysmith’s homeless population was dismantled on September 30.

RELATED: New self-isolation site for homeless to be set-up on Buller Street

The site was set up in partnership with BC Housing and the Cowichan Housing Association, (CHA) to reduce the risk of COVID-19 transmission among homeless people in the Cowichan Valley. Originally, the camp was scheduled to close on July 30, however the deadline was extended.

“Permission to use the land was based on a time frame, and that time frame has come to an end,” CHA executive director, John Horn said. “The land is going to be used for other purposes by the municipality… essentially, the decision was made to no longer make this site available for this purpose.”

Horn said that only one other site, which is operated by the Cowichan Violence Against Women Society in Duncan, is closing. The encampment at Fuller Lake Arena was closed previously due to low usage.

CHA will continue to operate their sites in Duncan, and will be opening a new site for youth. If there was an opening at a site in Duncan, residents of the Ladysmith encampment may be able to relocate to Duncan, provided that it was a good fit for all involved.

“We understand that peoples homes are their homes. If you’re from Ladysmith, Duncan is not really home. We do try to accomodate people in their home towns and create something for them here,” Horn said.

Late on Wednesday, the LRCA and BC Housing reached an agreement to open the Cold Weather Shelter for the next 30 days. This will give the LRCA time to develop a long term solution for clients.

Everyone who was staying at the encampment is now staying at the LRCA shelter, or the Warmland shelter in Duncan. Some residents have been relocated to a stable housing situation in Nanaimo.

LRCA executive director, Marsh Stevens said that a core population of about five to eight individuals in Ladysmith remain without housing.

“Our issue with homeless and precarious housing in Ladysmith is relatively small,” he said.

Stevens said that operating the self-isolation site was an ‘experiment gone right’, and is hopeful that there will be future endeavours house Ladysmith’s homeless population.

“We have provided a stable location and stable housing. Because of that, we’re seeing some successes that we wouldn’t have seen in just the Shelter model that we run,” he said.

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Jenna Forster moderated the Virtual All Candidates Forum between Duck Paterson (top left); Chris Istace (top right); and Doug Routley (Youtube/Ladysmith Chamber of Commerce)
Nanaimo-North Cowichan candidates state their case in virtual debate

Duck Paterson, Chris Istace, and Doug Routley are on the ballot for October 24

Dinner shows in the Playbill Dining Room are keeping the Chemainus Theatre going during the pandemic. (Photo by Don Bodger)
Dinner events satisfying for the Chemainus Theatre and patrons

Small groups enjoy entertainment and the food in the Playbill Dining Room

The cover of the 2021 RASTA calendar. (Photo submitted)
Smashed pumpkins provide a royal Thanksgiving feast for RASTA Sanctuary animals

Substantial community donations to purchase pumpkins surpasses the initial goal

Advance polling begins on Oct. 15, 2020, across B.C. in the 2020 snap election. (Black Press files)
B.C. VOTES 2020: Advance voting begins today in Nanaimo-North Cowichan

Advance voting runs from Oct. 15 to Oct. 21 in B.C.’s election

The Nanaimo-North Cowichan candidates will take part in a virtual candidates forum hosted by the Ladysmith Chamber of Commerce and VIREB (Submitted photo)
Nanaimo-North Cowichan candidates to participate in virtual candidates forum

The forum will be hosted by the Ladysmith Chamber of Commerce and VIREB on October 19

FILE – People wait in line at a COVID-19 testing facility in Burnaby, B.C., on Thursday, August 13, 2020. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Darryl Dyck
167 new COVID-19 cases, 1 death recorded as B.C. enters 2nd wave

Three new healthcare outbreaks also announced

Nanaimo RCMP are asking for the public’s assistance in locating Michael Leighton, who is wanted on 11 warrants on Vancouver Island and is a suspect in a recent break, enter and theft in Nanaimo. (Photos submitted)
RCMP looking for break-and-enter suspect with 11 warrants on the Island

Nanaimo RCMP say Michael Leighton a suspect in theft of pistol and $40,000 worth of coins

This 2020 electron microscope image made available by the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases shows a Novel Coronavirus SARS-CoV-2 particle isolated from a patient, in a laboratory in Fort Detrick, Md. THE CANADIAN PRESS/AP-NIAID/NIH via AP
At least 49 cases of COVID-19 linked to wedding in Calgary: Alberta Health

McMillan says the city of Calgary has recently seen several outbreaks linked to social gatherings

UBC geoscientists discovered the wreckage of a decades-old crash during an expedition on a mountain near Harrison Lake. (Submitted photo)
Wreckage of decades-old plane crash discovered on mountain near Harrison Lake

A team of Sts’ailes Community School students helped discover the twisted metal embedded in a glacier

The official search to locate Jordan Naterer was suspended Saturday Oct. 17. Photo courtesy of VPD.
‘I am not leaving without my son,’ says mother of missing Manning Park hiker

Family and friends continue to search for Jordan Naterer, after official efforts suspended

Join Black Press Media and Do Some Good

Pay it Forward program supports local businesses in their community giving

A bear similar to this black bear is believed responsible for killing a llama in Saanich on Oct. 19. (Black Press Media file photo)
Bear kills llama on Vancouver Island, prompting concerns over livestock

Officers could not track the bear they feel may not fear humans

Bernard Trest and his son Max, 10, are concerned about B.C.’s plan for students in the classroom. He was one of two fathers who filed a court application in August to prevent schools from reopening if stricter COVID-19 protections weren’t in place. That application was dismissed last week. (Contributed photo)
B.C. dad pledges to appeal quashed call for mandatory masks, distancing in schools

Bernard Trest and Gary Shuster challenged health, education ministries’ return-to-school plan

RCMP crest. (Black Press Media files)
RCMP cleared in fatal shooting of armed Lytton man in distress, police watchdog finds

IIO spoke to seven civillian witnesses and 11 police officers in coming to its decision

Most Read