The Ladysmith Detachment responded to 77 calls for service from Aug. 24 to Aug. 30.
Friday, Aug. 24
• The Ladysmith RCMP received a report of a hit-and-run accident on Walkem Road. A grey pickup struck a parked vehicle and left the scene. Follow-up investigation identified the pickup truck and driver. The police are continuing their investigation, and the young driver will be charged under the Motor Vehicle Act for not having a driver’s licence and for failing to remain at the scene of an accident.
Saturday, Aug. 25
• The Ladysmith RCMP received a report of a theft from a vehicle. A vehicle had been parked at the parking lot at Holland Creek on Dogwood Drive around noon. The driver returned and found the window smashed and a variety of items stolen, including an iPod, golf clubs and a jacket. A forensic examination was conducted, and the police are continuing their investigation.
Sunday, Aug. 26
• The Ladysmith RCMP received a report of the theft of a red Honda Twin Star motorcycle overnight from the area of the Ladysmith Maritime Society. The motorcycle had been locked, and the lock was cut during the theft.
• During the evening of Aug. 26, the Ladysmith RCMP received a report of an intoxicated male on an ATV at the A&W on the Trans-Canada Highway. Upon attendance, the male attempted to flee the scene on his ATV. The male was stopped by a police car and apprehended, striking one of the police vehicles in the process. The male was arrested and later released for court to face charges of driving while impaired, failing to stop for the police and driving without insurance. Both the ATV and the police vehicle sustained minor damage.
Monday, Aug. 27
• The Ladysmith Maritime Society reported the theft of two surveillance cameras from the dock area on the waterfront. The police were able to obtain video of the suspect and are continuing their investigation.
• The Ladysmith RCMP received a report of truck tires being slashed overnight in the 1300 block of Code Road. There were no witnesses. Anyone with any information is asked to contact the Ladysmith RCMP.
Wednesday, Aug. 29
• The Ladysmith RCMP responded to assist in a vehicle fire on Breton Page Road. The female driver of the vehicle heard a strange noise, and when she stopped, she discovered flames coming out from beneath the vehicle. The driver retrieved her two grandchildren from the vehicle and escaped without injury. The fire department extinguished the fire, and the vehicle was towed from the scene.