Ladysmith firefighters were called out early Tuesday night after a blaze sparked in the basement of a home near the Holland Creek trail.
The incident happened shortly before 6:30 p.m. at the end of Hambrook Street.
The fire is believed to have originated from a stove in the basement of the home.
Ladysmith firefighters held off on immediately entering the building due to live wires. They instead used chainsaws to ventilate the home as dark smoke billowed out from a window and under the roof.
No structural damage as a result of the fire was visible from the exterior.
An elderly couple and their dog were also evacuated from a neighbouring home as a safety precaution.
BC Hydro crews arrived just before 8 p.m. to shut off power to the house.