The man electrocuted in Tuesday afternoon’s industrial accident at the Chemainus River bridge construction site has been released from hospital.
“It’s too early on at this point to know what happened,” said confirmed Jacob Brothers Construction’s operating manager Paul Simpson, whose company was hired to complete bridge replacement.
Emergency crews attended the scene at about 2:14 p.m. after receiving reports a man had been electrocuted on site.
“He was breathing and conscious when he left,” said North Cowichan/Duncan RCMP Cpl. Greg Pask at the scene Tuesday. “He’s very lucky that’s all that happened.”
The patient was flown to Victoria General Hospital, of which he was later released that evening.
“We’re just grateful he’s been released from hospital and he’s doing well,” Simpson said. “And at this point, we’re just cooperating with the safety investigators.”
Simpson didn’t know how much if any delay in construction would occur as safety staffers with WorkSafe BC investigate the scene.
He also couldn’t confirm the worker’s name, or employer, but noted sub-contractors had been hired.
The project started June 11 and is due to wrap up Oct. 11.