Ladysmith Fire/Rescue crews attend to a natural gas leak on First Avenue

Ladysmith Fire/Rescue crews attend to a natural gas leak on First Avenue

Natural gas leak closed First Avenue

Buildings were evacuated and the street was closed for about two hours May 28 due to a gas leak.

A natural gas leak forced the evacuation of several buildings and the closure of  First Avenue between High and Gatacre streets last week.

Members of Ladysmith Fire/Rescue, the North Oyster Volunteer Fire Department and the Ladysmith RCMP were downtown Wednesday, May 28 after a natural gas leak when a gas line was broken down the alley between the Ladysmith Health Food Store and what used to be Crazy Mike’s Video.

Ladysmith Fire/Rescue received the call around 1:30 p.m. and closed the street until about 3:15 p.m. so that FortisBC could turn off the gas.

“We have to shut down and evacuate the area, make sure people are out of the area and wait for Fortis Gas to be here and shut down the gas,” Fire Chief Ray Delcourt explained around 2 p.m. as firefighters stood ready, and police officers kept pedestrian and vehicle traffic away. “Once they’re here and they shut the gas down, we check the building to make sure no natural gas is in there.”

Business and traffic resumed as normal about two hours after the leak was reported.