Researchers seek more info on Davidson family for Ladysmith Veteran’s luncheon

By Ed Nicholson

This week the Ladysmith Royal Canadian Legion will hold a special Veteran’s Luncheon to recognize a local family whose members served valiantly in World War I. The family chosen to be recognized at both the Legion sponsored luncheon and at the 2017 Remembrance Day ceremony is the JOHN DAVIDSON FAMILY from the Diamond area.

The Ladysmith and District Historical Society is trying to locate living descendants of this family so that they may be invited to the luncheon to be held Saturday, October 14 at 1:00 PM in the upstairs room of the Ladysmith Legion. We are hoping that some of the Chronicle readers will remember this family and their living descendants.

John Davidson and his wife Francis (Syme) Davidson arrived in British Columbia in 1890 along with their three of their children: Agnes, William and Stewart. John had lived in Clackmannanshire in Scotland and worked as a coal miner. The family originally settled in Wellington where John became a Member of the Provincial Police for several years. He eventually returned to coal mining at Wellington, but when the coal seam petered out there, John moved the family to the Diamond Crossing near Ladysmith and he began work at the Extension Mine. Their home was located on the Island Highway.

John rose to the position off Fireboss with Canadian Collieries. His miner badge was #800 and he was joined in the mine by his sons James, William, Duncan and perhaps John. (There were three other Davidson families working for Canadian Collieries)

When World War I broke out, James had already joined the Militia and both he and his older brother John signed up with the Canadian Expeditionary Force to serve overseas. It is the story of these two brothers – one who was Killed In Action in France and the other who returned a decorated veteran officer – that will be told at the veteran luncheon and the Remembrance Day ceremony.

From research conducted at the Ladysmith Archives we know that John and Frances Davidson had eight children:

Agnes, who married Thomas McEwan and settled in Duncan.

Stewart – who remained a spinster and lived in the family home at Diamond.

William – died in the 1909 Extension Mine explosion at age 17.

John – who was killed in action at Hill 70 in France.

James – who became an officer and married Evelyn McNeish in 1921

Thomas – who worked as an engineer for the C.P.R and died at White Rock

Duncan who married Gwendolyn Grafton and resided in Ladysmith.

Hugh Alexander who dies at age 5 in Ladysmith

John Sr., his wife Francis, his daughter Stewart and sons William and Hugh are all buried in the Ladysmith cemetery.If you know of any living relatives descended from this family please contact Jean Seney at the Ladysmith Legion 250 245 2273 or Ed Nicholson at the Ladysmith Archives (250-245-0100).

Watch for more on the what the Ladysmith Archives has uncovered on the Davidson family in an upcoming edition of the Chronicle.

– Ed Nicholson is the president of the Ladysmith and District Historical Society.

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Downtown Public Washroom project ‘shovel ready’ thanks to FortisBC community grant

FortisBC has awarded the Ladysmith Kinsmen Club $15,000 toward the Downtown Public Washroom project

LRCA Volunteer Counselling Program receives $7,500 boost from Oyster Bay Microtel

The Microtel raised funds through the MasterBUILT Common Ground program

B.C. salmon farms challenge activists’ demands for site closures

News reporting also unfair, inaccurate and distorted

Ladysmith man arrested in Saanich after towed sawmill draws attention

Police located the man thanks to social media and a keen-eyed witness

Killer whales cause a scene

WHALE OF A TALE Art Carlyle captured these images of killer whales… Continue reading

B.C. counts 125 new COVID-19 cases, up to 1,284 active

No new deaths or health care facility outbreaks

Health Canada green-lights rapid COVID-19 test

Health Canada approved the BCube test from Hyris Ltd. in the United Kingdom Sept. 23

FINLAYSON: COVID-related job losses concentrated in urban areas… especially Metro Vancouver

The biggest job losses, in absolute terms, have been in Metro Vancouver

6 puppies rescued in mass seizure on Princeton farm die from illness: BC SPCA

Of the 97 distressed horses, cats and dogs seized, most of the puppies suffered from parvo

Join Black Press Media and Do Some Good

Pay it Forward program supports local businesses in their community giving

Action demanded over death of First Nations youth in Abbotsford group home

Family and Indigenous organizations push for thorough investigation

U.S. boater fined $1,000 for violation of Quarantine Act

49-year-old man entered Canada to visit girlfriend in Surrey

More sex abuse charges laid against B.C. man who went by ‘Doctor Ray Gaglardi’

Investigators now focussing efforts on alleged victims within the Glad Tidings Church community

B.C. VOTES 2020: Businesses now owe $6 billion in deferred tax payments

COVID-19 relief from remittance to province ends with September

Most Read