As classes resume for the fall term

As classes resume for the fall term

Strict Enforcement of school zone speed limits now in effect

Ladysmith RCMP and SpeedWatch volunteers to monitor motorists near schools and playgrounds.

As students return to school, the Ladysmith RCMP and SpeedWatch volunteers will be out in full force to remind drivers to slow down in school zones.

Const. Brigitte Goguen, one of several RCMP officers from the Ladysmith detachment who will be monitoring motorists in the coming weeks, offered to review the rules of the road for Chronicle readers.

Goguen stressed the importance of slowing down near schools and playgrounds, reminding motorists that speed limits of 30 kilometres per hour apply from 8 a.m. through 5 p.m. in school zones and from “dusk to dawn all year round” near playgrounds.

When passing through residential neighbourhoods, Goguen encouraged motorists to “watch for the unexpected.”

“Look out for small children walking on sidewalks and curbing, and be cautious while approaching intersections,” Goguen added. “Small children do not quickly recognize the danger of a moving car like a teen or an adult would.”

As a precaution, Goguen advised motorists to think twice before passing vehicles stopped in the street, as they may be waiting for children to cross the road.

Cellphones and handheld devices are dangerous distractions that Goguen suggested drivers keep out of reach while they’re on the road.

“Operating, holding, communicating or just looking at the screen of a handheld device is illegal when driving, and doing so carries a fine of $167,” Goguen added.

While on the subject of fines, Goguen reminded motorists that excessive speeding in school zones will be met with punishing penalties. For example, a driver clocked at 71 kilometres per hour in a 30 kilometre-per-hour zone will be fined $368 while having their vehicle impounded for seven days.

To further drive home the importance of observing posted speed limits, Goguen shared the following survival statistics for collisions involving children:

“The chances of a pedestrian child surviving being hit by a car going 30 kilometres per hour is 90 per cent; if that same car is driving 50 kilometres per hour, that chance of survival drops to 10 per cent.”

“It is imperative that drivers adjust their driving behaviour now that school is in — back to school means back to slow,” Goguen stated.

 

Just Posted

The Crofton trailer park home where the bodies of two people were found. (Photo by Don Bodger)
Mom still waiting for answers after daughter and her fiance found dead in Crofton

Pair discovered dead in their Crofton home in May identified as Rachel Gardner and Paul Jenkins

FILE – Perry Bellegarde, National Chief of the Assembly of First Nations, takes part in an event on Parliament Hill in Ottawa on Tuesday, July 7, 2020. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Sean Kilpatrick
Indigenous Peoples Day must be a ‘call to action’, says Assembly of First Nations chief

Discovery of children at Kamloops residential school site must lead to change, Perry Bellegarde says

CVRD to increase enforcement after audits reveal that curb-side recycling contamination in the district is well above acceptable limits. (File photo)
CVRD reports contamination in recyclables well above acceptable levels

Increased enforcement planned starting this summer

A conceptual rendering of the commercial plaza at 1130 Rocky Creek Road. (Town of Ladysmith/June 15 Council Agenda)
Rocky Creek commercial plaza passes public hearing

The proposed plaza at 1130 Rocky Creek Road would bring commercial activity to Ladysmith’s north end

The border crossing into the United States is seen during the COVID-19 pandemic in Lacolle, Que. on February 12, 2021. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Paul Chiasson
VIDEO: Border quarantine to soon lift for fully vaccinated Canadians

Eligible travellers must still take multiple COVID-19 tests

Chilliwack secondary school’s principal is apologizing after a quote equating graduation with the end of slavery in the U.S. was included in the 2020-2021 yearbook. (Screenshot from submitted SnapChat)
B.C. student’s yearbook quote equates grad to end of slavery; principal cites editing error

Black former student ‘disgusted’ as CSS principal apologizes for what is called an editing error

Skeena MLA Ellis Ross. (Photo by Peter Versteege)
BC Liberal leadership candidate condemns ‘senseless violence’ of Okanagan church fires

Skeena MLA Ellis Ross says reconciliation isn’t about revenge for past tragedies

A coroner’s inquest will be taking place at the Capitol Theatre in Port Alberni for the next week. (ELENA RARDON / ALBERNI VALLEY NEWS)
Teen B.C. mom who died following police custody recalled as ‘friend to many’

Police sent Jocelyn George to hospital after intoxication had gone ‘beyond the realm’ of normal detox

FILE - In this Nov. 29, 2020, file photo, Las Vegas Raiders defensive end Carl Nassib leaves the field after an NFL football game against the Atlanta Falcons in Atlanta. Nassib on Monday, June 21, 2021, became the first active NFL player to come out as gay. Nassib announced the news on Instagram, saying he was not doing it for the attention but because “I just think that representation and visibility are so important.” (AP Photo/John Bazemore, File)
Nassib becomes first active NFL player to come out as gay

More than a dozen NFL players have come out as gay after their careers were over

Penticton Indian Band Chief Greg Gabriel speaks to the Sacred Hearts Catholic Church burning down early Monday morning, June 21, 2021. (Monique Tamminga Western News)
Penticton band chief condemns suspicious burning of 2 Catholic churches

Both Catholic church fires are deemed suspicious, says RCMP

COVID-19 daily cases reported to B.C. public health, seven-day moving average to June 17, 2021. (B.C. Centre for Disease Control)
B.C.’s COVID-19 infections drop to 90 on Sunday, 45 Monday

Pandemic spread dwindles as 77% of adults receive vaccine

Emergency vehicles are parked outside of the Wintergreen Apartments on Fourth Avenue. (SUSAN QUINN / Alberni Valley News)
Port Alberni RCMP investigate stabbing on Fourth Avenue

Two men were found with ‘significant’ injuries near Wintergreen Apartments

By protesting uninvited in First Nations’ territories, conservationists are acting in a neocolonial or paternalistic manner, says Huu-ay-aht Chief Robert Dennis. Photo by Heather Thomson
A closer look: do Vancouver Island First Nations support the war in the woods?

First Nations/environmentalist old growth alliance uneasy, if it exists at all

Most Read