Cowichan Secondary School was the target of another threat this week. Some students took the day off but others went to school Tuesday morning. Police were patrolling the area. (Sarah Simpson/Citizen)

Threat at Cowichan Secondary results in police presence

Officials found the threat last week and immediately contacted police

There has been another threat of violence at Cowichan Secondary School.

Officials say a message was found last week in relation to the James Street campus and directed towards a potential threat on Tuesday, June 5.

This latest incident prompted a message from the campus principal that was posted to Facebook on Monday, stating police were investigating the threat.

RELATED: Police at Cowichan Secondary after online threats

The message went on to say staff “immediately” reached out to the school district and activated their ‘Violence Threat Risk Assessment protocol’, upon learning of the threat last week. RCMP were notified and an investigation began.

“The situation has been investigated and monitored over the past few days. At this time, the RCMP have indicated that there is no evidence to suggest that this is a credible threat, however, out of an abundance of caution, there will be a police presence at the school on Tuesday June 5th,” said the Facebook message. “We want to ensure our students and staff feel safe at the school.”

READ MORE: Student arrested after Cowichan Secondary lock-down

Parents expecting details were frustrated with not knowing the specifics of the threat.

“What was the threat?” wondered Michele Hawes. “Someone will blow up the school? Someone wants to shoot one person? Can U tell us so we can make an informed decision if we want to send our kid into this?”

Other parents began engaging with the post and the school replied to say it was not a bomb threat.

“I understand your worry and the worry of all the parents on this thread. It was not a bomb threat. It was a less-specific general threat of violence against the school and the date was tomorrow. Beyond that, it is an active RCMP investigation so I cannot share all the details,” stated a representative moderating the post.

READ MORE: Filmed fight between students raises racism concerns

The RCMP were unavailable to immediately answer media requests. Turnover within the school system has meant a difficult time getting comment from officials.

School District 79 spokesperson Katie McLaughlin left her position on June 1 and a replacement has yet to be hired.

Charlie Coleman is no longer principal at Cowichan Secondary. Replacing him is Nicole Miller. She was not available immediately for comment.

We’ll have more information as it becomes available.

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

Just Posted

Ladysmith Arts Council awarded $20K to develop public art strategy

The Arts Council of Ladysmith and District has been given $20,000 by… Continue reading

B.C. declares state of emergency as more than 560 wildfires rage

This is only the fourth state of emergency ever issued during a fire season

Naloxone workshop in Chemainus gives people the tools to deal with an overdose situation

Community paramedic provides valuable information amid growing opioid crisis

Police, muni on site of break-in at pump station

Investigation being conducted but no public safety concern, officer says

B.C. wildfires 2018: Hazy skies impacting crews in spotting new fires

18,000 people are on an evacuation alert, with 3,000 homes under an evacuation order

Minister optimistic after 2 days of Columbia River Treaty negotiations

Canadian and U.S. officials met in Nelson Wednesday and Thursday to discuss future of the treaty

Man dies in B.C. police cell while awaiting court hearing

An independent investigation is underway after a man died while in Penticton police custody Aug. 16

RCMP appeal for tips, dashcam footage in German tourist shooting west of Calgary

The Durango crashed into the ditch after the shooting near the Goodstoney Rodeo Centre

2 nurses attacked at B.C. psych hospital, union calls for in-unit security

PHSA says that in-unit guards would do more harm than good

Former B.C. optician won’t be jailed for sexually assaulting minor

Kenneth Pilkington sentenced to 24 months’ probation for offence three decades ago

Red Cross now accepting donations for those impacted by B.C. wildfires

The Canadian Red Cross is asking for help now and in the weeks and months ahead.

B.C. program to educate parents reduces ‘shaken baby syndrome’ by 35%

Period of PURPLE Crying was launched nearly a decade ago

UPDATED: Vancouver Island community under evacuation alert due to wildfire

BC Wildfire Service says steep terrain near Zeballos poses challenge as “out of control” wildfire approaches homes

Most Read