Toxic levels of carbon monoxide detected

On Sept. 22, Ladysmith RCMP were called to assist Ladysmith Fire/Rescue to attend a residence on Buller Street near First Avenue

  • Sep. 22, 2014 8:00 p.m.

On Sept. 1, the Ladysmith RCMP were called to a residence in the 12200 block of Chandler Road in Ladysmith, where someone had broken into the home and stolen various items. On Sept. 4, the victim of the theft recognized a male wearing the stolen items and attempted to stop the male. Unfortunately, the victim was assaulted by the suspect, and the suspect escaped.

On Sept. 10, another residence in the 12700 block of Ivey Road was broken into while the owner was still home. The suspect fled the scene before police arrived.

With the help of the RCMP police dog, the Ladysmith RCMP was able to locate and arrest one male in the area. Matthew Wayne Ostrander of no fixed address is being held in custody awaiting disposition on charges of possession of stolen property and assault.

On Sept. 22, Ladysmith RCMP were called to assist Ladysmith Fire/Rescue to attend a residence on Buller Street near First Avenue, where a generator was heard running within the home of a person well known to police. Upon entering the home, carbon monoxide was detected at levels which were considered to be deadly to humans.

Five people inside the home were treated by ambulance staff.

Ladysmith resident David Alan Hodgkinson was arrested at the scene and is facing a charge of mischief endangering life. He was later released on conditions and is awaiting a trial date.

If you have any information relating to these crimes or any others, please contact the Ladysmith RCMP at 250-245-2215 or CrimeStoppers at 1-800-222-8477.