Update: Two charges laid relating to assault after Monday’s Chemainus stakeout

Terrence Karstad charged with two offences, released on various conditions after woman allegedly assaulted at the home Sunday

Update: Two charges laid relating to assault after Monday's Chemainus stakeout

Chemainus’ Terrence Karstad, 48, has been charged with two offences relating to assault after his arrest early Monday, police say.

Karstad faces charges of assault causing bodily harm, and assault, North Cowichan/Duncan RCMP Cpl. Jon Stuart said today.

“He’s been released with lots of conditions, including not possessing weapons, and having no contact with the victim.”

The unarmed suspect was collared by RCMP tactical-squad members at about 2:15 a.m. June 17 after a female was allegedly assaulted at the home at around 8:30 p.m. Sunday.

She was treated at hospital for minor injuries, police have stated.

But cops attending the assault scene Sunday learned suspect Karstad had access to guns in the home, explains Stuart’s Tuesday release.

“Officers made repeated attempts over several hours to communicate with the suspect, believing he may still be inside the residence.

“The officers, along with police dog services, contained the residence.

“As there were firearms reported to be at the disposal of the male, and there were threats of their use, the Emergency Response Team (ERT) was contacted and deployed to the scene.”

Then at around 2:15 a.m., swat-squad members found and arrested suspect Karstad in brush close to the home.

“He was taken into custody without incident or any harm to him, officers involved, or the general public,” says Stuart.

Several firearms were located and seized for public safety.

Stuart declined to give details about those guns as “they’re not part of the offence alleged.”

The weapons, if properly licensed, will be returned to their owner, barring any firearms prohibition, he said.

“The scene had been quickly contained, and there was no public danger in this matter,” notes Stuart.