Courthouse in Nanaimo. (News Bulletin file)

Warrant issued for man who wielded machete near Nanaimo’s tent city last year

William Robert Francis Carrigan failed to appear in provincial court in Nanaimo on Tuesday

A warrant has been issued for a man involved in an altercation involving a knife and machete near a former homeless encampment in Nanaimo last summer.

An unendorsed warrant was issued for William Robert Francis Carrigan on Tuesday after he failed to show for an appearance in provincial court in Nanaimo. RCMP say Carrigan, along with Shane Edward Steinhauer, resided at the former tent city site at 1 Port Drive and were charged for numerous offences, stemming from the Aug. 3, 2018 incident, including assault with a weapon and possessing a weapon for dangerous purpose.

RELATED: Man in machete-wielding incident near tent city pleads guilty

RELATED: Tent city residents react to laser pointer with machete, arrested

According to RCMP, two carloads of people were parked across the street from the tent city, at Port Place Shopping Centre, shining laser pointers at residents. Carrigan and Steinhauer were said to have confronted the people, made threats and vandalized the vehicles and a small axe was found on Carrigan at the time of the arrest, said police.

Steinhauer’s next day in court is scheduled to be Sept. 17.


More from the News Bulletin on Facebook and Twitter

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Nearly 20 individuals accessed LRCA’s cold weather shelter during 2020 snowstorm

Most individuals accessed the shelter for food, showers, laundry, and to warm up

Shoot the Moon pub passes public hearing stage

Rod Alsop and Jon Ludtke’s proposed pub is one step closer after a packed public hearing

Nanaimo-Ladysmith MP visits Wet’suwet’en camps, calls for Coastal GasLink pipeline to be ‘revisited’

Paul Manly met with Wet’suwet’en hereditary chiefs and the RCMP to talk about the ongoing situation

BREAKING: LSS evacuated after reports of ‘gas smell’

Students were evacuated to Frank Jameson Community Centre, but have since returned to class

Successful end to search for kayakers along the Chemainus River

Father and son located tired and cold, but otherwise OK

‘Presumptive case’ of coronavirus in Canada confirmed by Ontario doctors

Man in his 50s felt ill on his return to Canada from Wuhan, China

VIDEO: Drone footage shows extent of damage in Highway 4 rockslide

Tofino, Ucluelet still cut off from rest of the island, as crews work to repair roadway

People knowingly take fentanyl so make policy changes to reduce harm: B.C. study

Dr. Jane Buxton, an epidemiologist at the centre, says drug users need more resources,

‘My heart is going to bleed’: Bodies brought back to Canada following Iran plane crash

Remains of Sahar Haghjoo, 37, and her eight-year-old daughter, Elsa Jadidi, were identified last weekend

UBC grad and sister killed in Iran plane crash had bright futures ahead, close friend says

Asadi-Lari siblings Mohammad Hussein and Zeynab were two of 57 Canadians aboard downed Flight PS752

BCLC opens novelty bet on Harry and Meghan moving to the west coast

Meanwhile, real estate agency points to four possible homes for the family

Canada slips in global corruption ranking in aftermath of SNC-Lavalin scandal

The country obtained a score of 77, which places it at the top in the Americas

Wuhan bans cars, Hong Kong closes schools as coronavirus spreads

Hong Kong leader Carrie Lam said her government will raise its response level to emergency, highest one

Most Read