Herbert Fredrick “Pinky” McKeen

Herbert Fredrick "Pinky" McKeen

MCKEEN, Herbert Fredrick “Pinky”

Born Sept. 10 1926—Jan. 9 2011

With very heavy hearts we are saddened to relay the sudden passing of our Dad and Grandad Herb McKeen while in hospital in Comox.

Predeceased by his wife of almost 49 yrs Grace, step daughter Shirley Nick, Step son Reg Gould

Survived by his loving Daughter Donna Gibson (Brian Pickup), Step Son Michael Gould (Lorraine),

Grandchildren: Daryl Peacock (Marlene) Derek Peacock (Dree) Sharon Bricker (Ed) Gary Nicks, Lana Montgomery, Jim Gould, and Sherri Lister (Graeme) Great Grandchildren: Damian and Brody Peacock, Jordan and Kaden Peacock, Chase Bricker, Courtnay, Madeline, and Lydia Montgomery, Hope and Max Gould, Justine and Danielle Lister. Sister Eleanor Hyslop (Tom), Caledonia Ont. Brother Tom McKeen (Isabel), Burlington Ont Sister in laws Gwen Wilson and Marg Pollack, many wonderful nieces and nephews as well as many good friends.

Dad was born in Gaspe Bay raised mainly in Caledonia Ontario. He joined the army trained as a paratrooper but the war ended before he saw service. Dad traveled by train to the coast arriving for fall harvest time. He came to Ladysmith in January 1947 met mother and married shortly after. Dad went into logging and gained his nickname “Pinky” within hours of his first day at work… It stuck!

For 12 years he worked from the Crown Zee yard in Ladysmith. Became involved with the Kinsmen’s club, and was president for 2 terms, while president he had a hand in opening the Happy Lark School for mentally challenged children. Dad was very involved with the Red Cross Association as well. In the fall of 1960 he took a transfer to Ocean Falls, Mom and I followed in the spring. Dad gained his government scaler’s ticket at this time. When the winter slide happened (Jan 65) cutting off the road to Martin Valley Dad and several others took to the boom boats to ferry people back and forth. The mill began shutting down 66/67 so they transferred back to Ladysmith for a few months before settling in Courtenay. He helped set up the dry land sort then moved down to Roystons breakwater area as the scaler. Leaving Crown Zee he worked for Wood’s Brothers Logging, the late Bob Woods and his brother Calvin. He finished out his logging career working for Onion Lake Logging, the Westerbrook gang.

From a very young man to becoming a senior he played many sports, hockey, fastball, badminton, slow pitch, skiing with his grandsons, fishing and his motorcycle. His true pride and joys though were his grandchildren, the 2 boys living in the area got to enjoy more time with him. When time allowed he traveled to see all his grandchildren spending what he could with them.

Just after celebrating his 65th birthday he suffered 3 massive strokes within 24 hrs which disabled all of his left side almost taking him from us, he amazed even his doctor by surviving and carrying on . … After Mom passed away 15yrs ago he headed back east for several years but in 2003 he decided it was time to come home. He drove himself all the way back to the island. On arriving he gave up his license and took to his electric cart making his way all over the valley in all kinds of weather. He moved into Casa Loma in the summer of 2005 weaving his way into all the activities there. He did love the ladies and was a wonderful storyteller, he would tell the best stories on himself growing up or about something he had gotten into recently and in the telling he would be laughing the hardest. I am sure He is bending his Gods ear already with a good story or three … We will be proud to carry on your stories and add some of our own of the time we had with you. Rest in Peace ole man ..There is no service scheduled at his request.

Your condolences will be approved within one business day. You will need a valid Facebook account. Please email us if you have any questions.