COLLINSON, William Ronald
Born in King’s Daughters Hospital, Duncan, BC November 9, 1925, passed away December 2, 2008 in Chemainus Health Care Centre, suffering from Alzheimer’s disease. We would like to thank the nurses and caregivers and Dr. Archdekin who gave him such exceptional care during his stay.
Ron married the love of his life, Patricia, in 1951 and they made Crofton their lifelong home, raising 5 children, son Ted (Darlene), daughters Evelyn (Gord), Linda (Lloyd) and Patty and nephew Ron (Sonny), adopted after Ron’s sister Dorothy passed away in 1958. All will mourn his passing, including his 9 grandchildren and 3 great-grandchildren.
Ron attended the one-room school house in Crofton; retaining many hilarious and interesting memories from his early days. He and his pals used to play in the ruins of the Hotel Osborne and the old smelter before they were torn down. He loved to work and filled his days getting firewood and bark from the log dumps, fishing, hunting and delivering the Vancouver Sun newspaper. His friends nicknamed him “buckshot” since he was small, but that didn’t stop him from going to work at an early age. His first job was setting slings for 3 days a week at 50 cents an hour on the Hillcrest Lumber Dock at Crofton, riding his bike back and forth to work. He worked at many island areas, including: Mesachie Lake, Saltspring Island and Honeymoon Bay. Ron enlisted in the Canadian Army in 1945; upon discharge, returned to forestry work at Honeymoon Bay, Bowser, Northwest Bay and Chemainus in the mill and on the boom; Western Forest Products booming ground and camp in Crofton and running the Smith and Gibson tugboat. He spent many years working in logging camps, returning home on weekends. It was while he was working at BCFP Renfrew division that he had his near fatal accident December 13, 1965. He received the Golden Hat Award for surviving by wearing his hard hat. Although he sustained serious injuries, he was able to return to work, to the BCFP mill in Crofton until his retirement in 1990. He was active in BPOE Duncan Elks #69 for several years, going through all the offices, including exalted ruler in the 1950’s. He loved his home and family and enjoyed working in the garden and getting firewood. He and Pat travelled extensively for many years, both before and after retirement. No service by request. Donations to the Crofton Seawalk if desired.