Two-story house on Cook Street was fully involved when Chemainus firefighters arrived March 7. No one was home during the incident. At least one bedroom on the second floor was destroyed. Crofton and Ladysmith departments was called for mutual aid.

Community support pours in after Chemainus family’s home goes up in flames

Stephanie Alcock can't thank the community enough for donations to her family after March 7 fire

Stephanie Alcock’s looking at the sunny side of things.

She and her family weren’t home when their Chemainus house went up in flames March 7.

Either were their two dogs and cats.

Their losses also are covered through home insurance and on top of that, they’ve been blessed with an out-pour of community support and donations.

“It was obviously a complete shocker for us,” said Alcock of last week’s fire, which started from a baseboard in her seven-year-old daughter, Eesten’s room.

Thankfully no-one or pet was in the 3290 Cook Street residence which as a result of the blaze has extensive damage.

“It’s not completely destroyed, but there is a ton of smoke and water damage and they figured about 4-6 months work to be done before we can move back in,” Alcock said this week.

Alcock and partner Harvey Ward-Moran, Eesten and five-year-old son Connor, are currently staying at the Best Western hotel until they’re able to crash at a neighbours house for a couple weeks while they’re away.

After that, they’ll get the keys to a rental unit they have and reside there until fire damage work is done.

Meanwhile, folks from every corner of the community have stepped up to donate items to the family.

“Because it started in our daughter’s room, she lost everything,” said Alcock. “She lost every toy, article of clothing, every piece of even paper that was special to her.

“But the community has been just really, really great,” she added. “Just everything the support, even the hugs and sharing tears, it’s been amazing.”

Alcock and family are waiting on results of what else is lost and can be salvaged of household items.

“We’re just so lucky everyone was OK but you know there are always going to be the ‘What if’s’ that run through your mind,” Alcock said.

Any donations items, in particular clothing and toys for her two children, can be dropped off at Alcock’s mom’s Chemainus business, The Chemainus Pizza Mill.

The Chemainus Fire department received back-up from the Crofton and Ladysmith departments to fight the fire which broke out just before 11 a.m.