Last Word for August 18, 2015
• On August 23 First Avenue in Ladysmith will be transformed into a giant gallery as Arts on the Avenue celebrates the vibrant community of creative people in the area. Over 50 artists will gather Sunday morning to share their creations with the community, including: original paintings, jewellery, fabric art, carving, native art and more. There will be music, a kids’ art space, artisan food tents and information about Ladysmith’s arts scene. More at artsontheavenue.ca
• The Ladysmith Camera Club will be meating Tuesday, Aug. 25 at 7 p.m. The featured presentation will be on “Flash Photography” with widely-published professional photographer Boomer Jerritt from Courtenay, BC giving the talk. The club meets in Hardwick Hall, High Street at 3rd Avenue. There is a $5 drop-in fee for non-members.
• The Ladysmith Resources Centre is gearing up for the 2015 Berry Mania, Family Fun Festival, Sunday Aug. 30, 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. at Transfer Beach. It’s a major fund raiser for the LRC Association and they are looking for volunteers to help make the day fun for families. Please contact LRCA at 250-245-3079 and leave your name and contact information.
• Stock the Lockers, a fund-raiser for the Nanaimo-Ladysmith Schools Foundation, takes place Aug. 13 to Sept. 3. This is the 6th annual fundraising campaign for school supplies and other unmet basic needs of local elementary and secondary students. “Help us raise $50,000 to give students an equal chance to succeed in school,” says the NLSF in a recent release. For information go to www.NLSF.ca.
• The Loggers are back. Come out for the Ladysmith Logger Sports at the Transfer Beach Amphitheatre on Sept. 6. Bring your own lawn chair, blanket or stool. Admission by donation with all proceeds going to Camp Goodtimes, supported by the Tour de Rock. Sponsored by Otter Point Timber.
• Help defeat cancer by participating in the Tour de Rock Raffle: Draw date is Sept. 10, 2015. Tickets $10. 1st Prize is a Bear Mountain Golf Getaway Package for four, $1,250 value. 2nd Prize is a Canucks Hockey Getaway Package for two, $1,000 value. 3rd Prize is a Mayne Island Getaway Package for two, $400 value. For more information and to purchase your tickets contact Tour de Rock riders Alison Wood at 250-380-6132 orAlison.email@example.com or Rob Webb at 250-732-0312 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Ladysmith Tour de Rock is looking for volunteers to get their head shaved on Sept. 28 when the Tour de Rock rides into town for their annual trek down the island. There is a fundraising component to the head shaves as well. If you are interested in volunteering, or want more information, call Duck Paterson at 250-245-2263.