Ladysmith Secondary School open house for Cedar students

Ladysmith Secondary School hosts open house presentation for bewildered Cedar students

Ladysmith Secondary School hosted an open house last Wednesday after the prospect of a fresh influx of students from out of town became more likely.

The open house featured a detailed presentation to the students, parents and people of Cedar Secondary School who are in limbo following School District 68’s decision to close the high school there.

With Cedar Secondary set to close, students who currently attend the school have the option of moving to John Barsby Community School in Nanaimo, or Ladysmith Secondary.

Cedar Secondary is the only high school in Cedar and Barsby has now been classed as the inevitable catchment school, but the LSS option is seemingly more popular.

“This is far from over as we’re still fighting it (the closure of Cedar Secondary),” said Steve Rae from the Save Cedar School coalition. “The other night at Ladysmith Secondary was fantastic. The staff were very welcoming and its very similar to our school in terms of the academic demographics and the courses they offer.

“Ladysmith is at the same academic level as us. There’s no woodwork and metalwork at Barsby and the kids that go there don’t sign up for the same classes as ours do — they don’t even offer Math 12. We actually forced Ladysmith to have the open house but they made us feel welcome. It’s by far the best fit.”

The students at Cedar have until Nov. 22 to choose Ladysmith Secondary in what is a “one-time option” as described by SD68.

Rae claims his coalition has been trying to engage SD68 hierarchy and trustees since April 2012, to no avail.

“We’ve came up with 33 different proposals in the past, they haven’t listened to us in any meaningful way, and now they’re going to close our school — it’s a joke. They should be ashamed of themselves,” said an irate Rae.

He also claims that SD68 are only preparing bus routes to Barsby once Cedar closes, and not Ladysmith, thus “forcing” Cedar students to pick the Nanaimo option.

“It’s ridiculous. The reason they’re forcing us to go to Barsby is because the school district recently asked the provincial government for $61 million to build a new high school in Nanaimo. Barsby is only 60% full so they’re trying to drive us there to get the money for a new school.”

According to Rae, Barsby recently hosted a similar presentation and open house to Ladysmith at which 30 people from Cedar showed up. The open house at LSS saw 150 come out.

He envisions over 75% of Cedar’s kids choosing the Ladysmith option despite the apparent lack of buses scenario and claims the high school closure will “devastate” Cedar’s community.

He also says Snuneymuxw First Nation is set to file a lawsuit against SD68 as they “feel they weren’t consulted.”

Save Cedar Schools is planning to support Snuneymuxw with the lawsuit.

Cedar Secondary currently has a 107% student capacity. It has a 97% graduation rate — the highest in the district.

LSS principal Dave Street was unavailable for comment at press time.

Just Posted

Local beekeeper wants residents to use pesticides more responsibly

Paula Masyk has kept bees for a little over two months, and has had two pesticide events since then

Sizzling season starts with Summer Fest celebrations in Chemainus

Rotary Club event features plenty of food, entertainment and a parade

Memorial Midget C Hockey Tournament supports Puska

Ladysmith man in need of a kidney transplant receiving abundant financial contributions

Poppy funds blossom at Chemainus Health Care Centre

Cowichan Legion Branch 53 makes a valuable contribution

Ladysmith Hill Dash and Running of the Balls return to High street

Ever year Ladysmith residents run High street to support the Ladysmith Resource Centre Association

PHOTOS: Elusive ‘ghost whale’ surfaces near Campbell River

Ecotourism operator captures images of the rare white orca

Victoria mom describes finding son ‘gone’ on first day of coroners inquest into overdose death

Resulting recommendations could change handling of youth records amidst the overdose crisis

Dash-cam video in trial of accused cop killer shows man with a gun

Footage is shown at trial of Oscar Arfmann, charged with killing Const. John Davidson of Abbotsford

Suicide confirmed in case of B.C. father who’d been missing for months

2018 disappearance sparked massive search for Ben Kilmer

Eight U.S. senators write to John Horgan over B.C. mining pollution

The dispute stems from Teck Resources’ coal mines in B.C.’s Elk Valley

Threats charge against Surrey’s Jaspal Atwal stayed

Atwal, 64, was at centre of controversy in 2018 over his attendance at prime minister’s reception in India

Anti-vaxxer Robert F. Kennedy Jr. to speak in Surrey

He’s keynote speaker at Surrey Environment and Business Awards luncheon by Surrey Board of Trade Sept. 17

Otters devour 150 trout at Kootenay hatchery

The hatchery has lost close to 150 fish in the past several months

B.C. church’s Pride flag defaced for second time in 12 days

Delta’s Ladner United Church says it will continue to fly the flag for Pride month

Most Read