Last Word for July 21, 2015
• Kendall Patrick and the Headless Bettys will be playing at a couple of venues this month. On July 24 they will be in Nanaimo for the Bathtub Weekend Launch Party in Diana Krall Plaza, downtown Nanaimo. More info at RoguePlanetLive.ca. On Aug. 1, at 7-9 p.m. they will be at Beantime Café in Ladysmith. Look for KendallPatrickAndTheHeadlessBettys at facebook.com for more info.
• The Ladysmith Camera Club will be meeting Tuesday July 28 at 7 pm to listen to a presentation titled “Putting together a slide show” by Pat Haugen, a Saltair-area photographer who will discuss using Pro Show software. The group meets in Hardwick Hall, High Street at 3rd Avenue in Ladysmith. Their website is at www.ladysmithcameraclub.com.
• July is Meet My Market Month, so bring a friend to the Wednesday Market in Chemainus, and you could win one of two getaways for two to the luxurious Sparkling Hill Resort in the Okanagan, or one of five weekly prizes of $50 to spend at the market, which takes place from 10 a.m. – 3 p.m. at Waterwheel Park. You can also get homegrown and homemade at the Ladysmith Farmers’ Market on Transfer Beach, Tuesdays from 1 to 5 p.m.
• Aug. 1 and 2 will be time to celebrate the town we live in. Come and join in the fun at Ladysmith Days. Look for a special insert in the July 28 edition of the Chronicle, which will include a schedule of activities and events, plus an update of what’s new this year. More information, including the schedule of events at www.ladysmithdays.com.
• For kids six and up, and adults of any age, the Chemainus Theatre brings James and the Magic Peach. Imaginations will come together with incredible puppeteers and the Chemainus Theatre Festival KidzPlay Company. Runs July 18 to Aug. 15
• The Adult Summer Reading Challenge runs to Wednesday, August 31. Participating adults can mark calendars, provided by their Vancouver Island Regional Library each day they read or listen for at least 15 minutes. For every seven days they read or listen for at least 15 minutes per day, they can visit their branch and fill out a ballot (total of a possible 7 draw entries over the summer). Prizes are gift certificates and bragging rights.
• The 12th Annual Ladysmith Show & Shine will have vintage car enthusiasts flocking to First Avenue Saturday, Aug. 15 from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. There will be live music and lots of fun for the family. So get your motor running and head out on the highway to a great event. And don’t forget on Aug. 14 at 7 p.m. there will be the traditional Rod Run from A&W in Ladysmith to the Chemainus roundabout and back.
• On August 23 First Avenue in Ladysmith will be transformed into a giant gallery as Arts on the Avenue celebrates the vibrant community of creative people in the area. Over 50 artists will gather Sunday morning to share their creations with the community, including: original paintings, jewellery, fabric art, carving, native art and more. There will be music, a kids’ art space, artisan food tents and information about Ladysmith’s arts scene. More at artsontheavenue.ca.
• Stock the Lockers, a fund-raiser for the Nanaimo-Ladysmith Schools Foundation, takes place Aug. 13 to Sept. 3. This is the 6th annual fundraising campaign for school supplies and other unmet basic needs of local elementary and secondary students. For information go to www.NLSF.ca.