Choosing a new Canadian flag caused heated arguments — Chronicles From the Past

Ed Nicholson of the Ladysmith Historical Society shares the news that was fit to print in June 1913, 1938 and 1963.

June 1913

“A Delightful and Beneficial Spring Tonic”

So read the headline on an advertisement for Union Brewing Company in the June 3, 1913, edition of the Ladysmith Chronicle.

The ad continued: “U.B.C. Beer is a beverage for those of weak digestion or impaired health. Being bottled by us, under the strictest sanitary requirements, its purity is absolutely safeguarded and retained, making it entirely free of disease germs of any kind — a factor extremely important when invalids are concerned. Order a case today!”

June 1938

A meeting was held in the Rialto at the beginning of June to discuss the problems faced by those living within Ladysmith School District but who were not within city boundaries.

Thirty-seven residents of the E&N subdivision decided to form a Ratepayers Association, and Mr. G.E. Chambers was elected chairman. Concerns included the need for fire protection, a sidewalk down Bayview Road, as it was now part of the highway, and the possible installation of an electric light in the same area for the safety of pedestrians.

Mayor Walkem reported to council that his trip to Victoria did not result in any additional funds for the city to help with their problems of “the unemployable and the unemployed.” ‘

However, Victoria had indicated that federal government loans would be made available to municipalities to assist in any local building project during the balance of 1938. [NOTE: One of the first of these loans was used to erect a neon sign for the Wigwam Restaurant.]

Mr. Pete Celle, agent for Imperial Life Assurance Company, left Ladysmith on June 16 to attend the company’s annual convention in New York.

Mr. Celle was being honoured as a member of the company’s prestigious $250,000 Club. [NOTE: Pete Celle was born in Ladysmith in 1911 and after giving up a career as a teacher, sold life insurance to three generations of local residents before passing away in 1970.]

The British Columbia Telephone Company introduced a new procedure in making calls that they believed would “provide not only a higher degree of efficiency in handling calls but also set a new standard of courtesy.” The advertisement provided a sample call under the new procedure.

Operator: “Number, please?”

Calling Party: “123”

Operator: “Thank you.”

June 1963

Ladysmith Little Theatre had a real-life mystery on their program when the theatre was broken into and some artificial flowers and containers were strewn about and props taken.

The theatre group appealed to parents in the town to be on the lookout for any items their children may have brought home that “looked as thought they may have belonged to a theatre.” [NOTE: No indication in later issues of the Chronicle about “whodunnit.”]

An announcement in June 1963 by the Liberal government of Lester Pearson to establish a committee to choose a new Canadian flag precipitated some heated arguments (and even fisticuffs) in many of the town’s service clubs and bars. There was considerable support, especially from The Royal Canadian Legion and John Diefenbaker’s Conservative Party, to retain and officially adopt the “Red Ensign” which had been flown by Canada’s Armed Forces in WWII and approved for general use in Canada in 1945. [NOTE: In 1965, the Canadian Parliament approved a design submitted by George Stanley, a professor at the Royal Military College in Kingston, which featured a red maple leaf on a white and red background.]

Compiled by Ed Nicholson, Ladysmith Historical Society

Just Posted

Ladysmith author honours late sister in new children’s book

Sarah de Vries disappeared from Vancouver’s Downtown Eastside in 1998

Chemainus ‘Mountain Man’ joins search for Ben Kilmer

Kevin Shiell has been putting his extensive outdoor skills to good use

Search for missing Cowichan man moves towards Hill 60

Volunteer searchers are moving westward

North Cowichan celebrates public art for Local Government Awareness Week

North Cowichan is showcasing a piece of public art in Crofton in… Continue reading

VIDEO: SAR reinforcements from up Island arrive Sunday to help search for Ben Kilmer

Family, RCMP ‘extremely happy’ with the search effort so far, search manager tells volunteers

Winnipeg’s JP Hoe performs in Ladysmith

Six-time Western Canada Music Award nominee and Winnipeg native JP Hoe performed… Continue reading

B.C. pipeline goes ahead despite scrapped Pacific Northwest LNG

NEB approves amendment for $1.4-billion natural gas North Montney Mainline Project

Update: Wildfire northwest of Kamloops jumps from 60 to 800 hectares

Ground crews and aircraft are responding to an estimated 50 hectare wildfire approximately 55 kilometers northwest of Kamloops, near the Deadman Vidette Road.

Feds limit chinook fishery to help killer whale recovery

Chinook is main food source for only 76 southern residents killer whales left

B.C. mom who died just before daughter’s wedding wanted family to be happy: twin

Ann Wittenberg was pulled into the ocean while on a surf board in Tofino last weekend

Courtenay-Alberni MP calls for lifeguards at popular surf spot near Tofino

The Pacific Rim National Park Reserve is defending its decision to cancel the surf guard program.

Harvey Weinstein to surrender in sex misconduct probe: officials

Would be first criminal charge against Weinstein since scores of women came forward

Fuel truck crash closes B.C. highway, sends two to hospital

The Trans-Canada Highway on Vancouver Island is expected to be closed until Thursday evening

Media are not an arm of the police, Vice lawyer tells Supreme Court hearing

Ben Makuch challenges Ontario Court of Appeal ruling that he must give materials for stories to RCMP

Most Read