Ladysmith Fire Rescue responded to a chlorine leak at the water filtration plant Tuesday, September 17.
The leak was contained within the plant. No injuries or illnesses were reported from the leak. Fire rescue was called to go in to the building and shut off the valve to stem the flow of chlorine. Workers were conducting routine maintenance when the leak occurred.
“We had to go in with our hazmat suits and shut it down,” Fire Chief Ray Delcourt said. “Our role is to go in there and shut the valves off, or close off the leak, that was our duty to go in there.”
Ladysmith Fire Rescue contained the leak within three hours. Trails around the water filtration plant were closed to minimize risks to public health from the leak, and the worksite was evacuated. Trails in the area are now open and safe to use.