Parents, students and staff at Ladysmith Secondary school have questions they want answered after hearing news that former principal David Street has been charged with theft, but the Board will not be able to respond while the matter is before the courts.
Street was charged May 22 with theft under $5,000, and is scheduled to appear in Nanaimo Provincial Court on June 16. The charges relate to money he is alleged to have stolen from Woodlands Secondary School, where he had been principal since last fall. Previous to that he was principal at Ladysmith Secondary for five years.
The offences are alleged to have been committed between Nov. 15, 2014 and March 26, 2015.
Asked what money was missing, School District 68 Superintendent John Blain said he could not address that matter because it was before the courts, but added, “Any money that has gone missing through schools and etcetera, we’ll ensure there is the ability to, that it doesn’t come out of student’s pockets and those types of things.”
Director of Communications Dale Burgos said later that Nanaimo-Ladysmith School District has cooperated with police in their investigation, but added that until after court proceedings have concluded there is little that can be said. He confirmed the assurance given by Superintendent Blain included LSS, but added the facts of the case will not be known before court proceedings conclude.
Blain said that as of last Friday Street, who has been on paid leave since Spring Break, was no longer an employee of the school district and added that Street will not receive any severance from the District.