Zoning Bylaw Amendment
Bylaw Nos. 2137 & 2138
May 16, 2023, 6:00pm
Pursuant to Section 466 of the Local Government Act, we advise you that a Public Hearing has been scheduled to consider amendments to the Zoning Bylaw and the Official Community Plan. Anyone who considers their interest in property to be affected by the proposed Bylaws will be given reasonable opportunity to be heard.
Bylaw No. 2137 will apply to all properties containing buildings that are on the Town of Ladysmith Community Heritage Register and are located within the Downtown Core land-use designation in Official Community Plan Bylaw 2003, No. 1488.
Bylaw No. 2138 will only apply to the property at 440 1st Avenue (Lot 6, Block 27, District Lot 56, Oyster District, Plan 703. PID: 008-550-981).
What is the Proposal About?
If approved, Bylaw No. 2137 will amend Official Community Plan Bylaw 2003, No. 1488 by changing a policy in the Downtown Core land-use designation to support high densities (both floor space ratio and units per hectare) for the restoration of buildings on the Community Heritage Register.
If approved, Bylaw No. 2138 will amend the Downtown Commercial (C-2) zone in Town of Ladysmith Zoning Bylaw 2014, No. 1860 by adding site specific regulations for the subject property (440 1st Avenue) including:
- Increasing the maximum floor space ratio from 1.0 to 3.1.
- Increasing the maximum number of permitted dwelling units from 75 units per hectare to 22 units total (475 units per hectare).
- Increasing the maximum parcel coverage from 75% to 100%.
- Increasing the maximum height of a principal building from 12.0m to 18.0m (5 storeys).
- Requirements that the fourth and fifth storeys be stepped back.
- Reducing the rear setback of a principle building from 3.0m to 0.0m.
- Reducing the minimum on-site vehicle parking requirement from approximately 26 spaces to four spaces total.
- Increasing the minimum Class A (indoor, secure) bike parking spaces from 1.0 per five residential units to one per residential unit (approximately 22 spaces total).
Where Can I Get More Information?
A copy of the proposed Bylaws and related information may be viewed at the Town of Ladysmith City Hall located at 410 Esplanade or the Development Services Office located at 132C Roberts Street, Ladysmith, BC, until May 16, 2023. Office hours are Monday to Friday 8:30am to 4:00pm, excluding statutory holidays. The Proposed Bylaws are also available at www.ladysmith.ca/publichearings.
How do I Attend the Meeting?
Anyone may attend the meeting. The meeting will be held on May 16, 2023 at the Ladysmith Seniors’ Centre, 630 2nd Avenue, Ladysmith, beginning at 6:00pm.
How Do I Make a Written Submission?
If you are unable to attend the Public Hearing, written submissions can also be provided. If received by Noon, May 16, 2023, written submissions will be included in the Public Hearing agenda. Written submissions should be sent to Town of Ladysmith, PO Box 220, Ladysmith, BC V9G 1A2 or by Email to email@example.com. Written submissions can be accepted at the Public Hearing up to the close of the Public Hearing. Please be advised that the content of submissions will be made public and form a part of the public record for this hearing.
Notice Issued by the Corporate Officer.
Questions can be directed to staff in the
Town of Ladysmith Development Services Department
by calling 250-245-6415 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org