Isn’t it time to limit home heating to gas, oil or electricity?

Vince Devries agrees with last week's letter about health impacts of wood and leaf burning but adds wood-burning fireplaces and stoves.

Editor:

I am in complete agreement with last week’s letter writer Gary Backlund about wood and leaf burning and the impact on health.

He did not mention the people in Ladysmith who still heat their homes with wood-burning fireplaces and stoves.

Judging by the foul smoke emitting from a number of chimneys hour after hour, day after day, many must use antiquated fireplaces or stoves, along with unseasoned wood, imposing the same health hazard on their neighbours.

Is it not time for Ladysmith council to bring this town in line with other towns, and into the 21st century by limiting home heating to gas, oil or electricity?

Vince Devries

Ladysmith