Trevor Linden parts ways with the Vancouver Canucks (via @Canucks/Twitter)

Trevor Linden, Vancouver Canucks ‘amicably’ agree to part ways

After four years as president of hockey operations, team legend steps down

The Vancouver Canucks and president of hockey operations Trevor Linden have “amicably” agreed to part ways, the team announced Wednesday.

Linden is leaving the organization to “pursue different endeavours,” after serving four years in the role. He was hired in April 2014 to take over from Mike Gillis.

“This team and this game hold a special place in my life and I leave very optimistic about the direction the Canucks are headed,” said Linden.

“Most of all, I am excited about the highly skilled group of prospects and young stars that we have assembled. From ownership to hockey and business operations, the club is as strong as its been in years. Above it all, I can feel our fans’ sense of hope again and I know the future for the Canucks is very bright.”

Canucks owner Francesco Aquilini said on Twitter that general manager Jim Benning is slated to take over hockey operations.

“There aren’t many individuals in sport more connected to a team and a community than Trevor is in Vancouver,” said Aquilini.

“The Canucks are entering an exciting new era thanks in large part to Trevor’s leadership and hard work. I thank Trevor for all of his accomplishments and I am confident that Jim Benning and his staff will continue that momentum in the months ahead.”

Linden’s first significant moves while in charge were relieving head coach John Tortorella of his duties and hiring Benning to be the Canucks’ general manager in May 2014, just a month after taking on his role in hockey operations.

“I would like to thank Trevor for the opportunity he gave me and my family,” said Benning. “I have thoroughly enjoyed working and learning from Trevor over the past four years. We still have lots of work to do, but I am proud of what we have built together so far in Vancouver.”

The former captain of the Canucks recorded 867 points in 1,382 regular season games with Vancouver, the Montreal Canadiens, New York Islanders and Washington Capitals.

He was originally drafted by Vancouver second overall in 1988 and spent 16 seasons with the Canucks split between two stints.


@kieranroconnor
kieran.oconnor@bpdigital.ca

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

Just Posted

Candidates face questions on Nanaimo doorsteps about supportive housing and crime

Federal candidates asked about social issues on campaign trail

Review: Polish your language skills with The Foreigner

It’s all gibberish, but Charlie Baker’s personality receives a revamp in Chemainus Theatre production

Art studio takes over former St. Joseph’s School space in Chemainus

Public invited to a grand opening on May 1 to see what’s transpired

Lavigne possesses crooner qualities, to be Frank

Island tour starts this week and concludes in Chemainus with two shows May 11

First Nanaimo-Ladysmith all-candidates’ meeting is tomorrow

Six candidates expected to debate issues Thursday, April 25, at the Beban Park social centre

VIDEO: Killer whales hunt for seals in Vancouver harbour

Bigg’s killer whales feed on marine mammals like seals, sea lions, dolphins and even other whales

Struggling B.C. adoption agency elects new board that intends to keep it open

The previous board announced that Choices would close May 31

Island-born Snowbirds pilot enjoying homecoming in skies over Comox

Logan Reid once stood clinging onto the fence outside the Comox Air… Continue reading

Attack on student in Courtenay ‘way more than bullying’, says mom

A Comox Valley mother said “it was way more than bullying” at… Continue reading

Vancouver man, 19, charged in human trafficking case involving teen girl

The 16-year-old girl was reported missing and later discovered in Vancouver

Amber alert issued for 5-year-old Ontario boy

Ethan Montes is believed to be in the company of his mother, 47-year-old Juliet Mohammed

Blaine, Wash. inn owner, charged with smuggling people into B.C., granted bail

Robert Joseph Boule ordered to turn away anyone indicating a plan to enter Canada illegally

Most Read