The lights, the sounds, the holiday treats … Christmas is coming to Downtown Duncan this holiday season, and you’re invited!
From the massive tree and glittering, seasonally inspired “selfie spot” to live holiday music setting the scene as you browse historic streets and unique shops, this is a destination meant to be enjoyed at leisure.
After shopping, or just because you deserve a break, relax and enjoy a little holiday refreshment at one of Downtown Duncan’s celebrated cafés, restaurants and brew-pubs. No matter what you’re craving, you’ll likely find it here.
So as you plan your holiday adventures, here are 5 reasons to put Downtown Duncan on the calendar:
- Festive décor – Take in the 17-foot live Christmas tree in the Station Street Common park, and the larger-than-life, 12-foot twinkling ornament on the stage at City Square – always a favourite with the kids and the selfie set!
- Live music – Christmas wouldn’t be Christmas without the carols. As you browse the downtown boutiques, enjoy the sounds of live music from the stage at Station Street Common, from 3 to 7 p.m. Dec. 3, 10 and 17.
- Extended shopping hours – A number of Downtown Duncan stores are welcoming shoppers with extended hours during December – click here for a full list. Still stumped on the perfect present? For a gift that always fits, contact the Downtown Duncan BIA for Downtown Dollars, a universal gift certificate typically available in $25, $50 and $100 denominations that can be used at most shops in the downtown Duncan area.
- Holiday mascot scavenger hunt – A timeless tradition returns to Downtown Duncan! As you stroll the quaint streets, you might spot this year’s holiday mascot – an adorable black Scotty dog – in windows or just inside businesses. Each has a unique name, and some are even festively dressed. To play,click here to download and print the submission form, and when you find a mascot, record its name. Submit your form to the Downtown Duncan office by Dec. 15 , and the person with the most names will win $100 in Downtown Duncan Dollars! (And if you find the store where a Scotty named “Haggis” lives, you’ll win a very special book, courtesy of Vancouver Island Regional Library.)
- StoryWalk – Through Jan. 8, families are also invited to discover the wonders of Angus and the Cat, by Marorie Flack, as they explore Downtown Duncan. Starring Downtown’s holiday mascot, and presented in partnership with Vancouver Island Regional Library, simply follow the map to 18 stops along the StoryWalk, discovering a new page of this illustrated adventure at each location! While exploring, look for Hul’q’umi’num’ street signs. Pick up a brochure with scannable QR Codes and bring it along to learn how to pronounce the Hul’q’umi’num’ names and learn more about local Indigenous history and culture.
Plan your Downtown Duncan holiday adventures at downtownduncan.ca/events. See you downtown!